room to marvel...

I do love words whose history can be traced...
Middle English (as a noun): from Old French merveille, from late Latin mirabilia, neuter plural of Latin mirabilis ‘wonderful’, from mirari ‘wonder at’.
Sadly, in 21st-century western parlance, this word seems to be mainly used like this:


But, I prefer to make room for the old way, and MARVEL at the wonder-filled things I experience every day - the vari-plumed birds hanging on the feeder, the chocolately smell of freshly brewed coffee, the warm weight of Molly-cat on my lap...

Daily, I marvel at the wonders of our interconnected world - the messages I receive from all over the globe, the friendships I forge with people I've never met in person.

One of whom, sent me this treasure for Christmas. Sadly, my photos don't do it justice, but it truly is THE most beautiful little book (about 5in square). Indeed, it is a marvel of artistic endeavour and production.
This is the book jacket... Can you see the wee circle of gold on the frog's head? 
Remove the jacket, you find this:
Oh, the shimmer of the imprint, the texture of the bookcloth...
... and the surprise of the red pages within!
I had mentioned to Terry ages ago, I love linoprints... and she remembered 😊
And I LOVE the rhythm of the words on each page...
... they are a prayer, a meditation, a marvellous mantra...

Be the still pool.
Let your face reflect
the glory, the wonder.

Be the dragonfly,
silent but joyful.

Be the bud.
Prepare to blossom...

Be the butterfly.
Accept the riches of the moment.

Be the path.
Open the way for another...

(All words and images © 1999
Council Oak Books, LLC)

Comments

Unknown said…
What an exquisite gift, Claire. I love this sort of thing. It must be a delight to hold that in your hands, savour the textures and images, and read the text.
Just marvellous!
Claire said…
It is, indeed, Roz, I shall treasure this wee marvel always!
Thanks for visiting xx
Therese Doherty said…
That looks like a gorgeous little book. x

Popular Posts