room to speak...

With the stroke, I lost my ability to speak... For weeks, I made noises like a wounded animal... But with regular speech therapy, and months and months doing daily facial exercises, my speech eventually returned - but in another's voice... 

For years, I spoke with a thick Scandinavian accent (my inner Viking, I would joke)... She now only returns when I am tired... The rest of the time, thankfully, I sound like ME when I speak...

Yet, now I have the power to speak whenever I wish, I prefer silence...

Isn't that strange...??

Comments

wisps of words said…
You went through a life changing experience. And through much, much work, you have conquered it. Amazing....

It seems that all would benefit, from speaking only if it improves upon silence. In real live and on the Net.

Something to ponder....

Wisps of Words
Wisteria and Sunshine also
Unknown said…
I'm finding that - as I get older - I need the silence to turn thoughts over in my mind. I don't want to be distracted or invaded. Do you think we become more comfortable with silence, rather than fearful of it, as we age.? Certainly true for me.
You may enjoy 'A Book of Silence' by Sara Maitland if you have not read it already.
(I'm intrigued by the 'thick Scandinavian accent' - what an extraordinary outcome!)

Popular Posts