room to listen...

Four years ago, my Word for the year was LISTEN, and I used xmas money to buy this... the stone is a piece of preseli , and I love how it warms on my skin... 
and it's the stone used to build Stonehenge, I understand.


Later that year, I also bought this...




...as I'd discovered  l i s t e n  and  s i l e n t  use the same letters...

I have never stopped listening to the silence... 
... deep within me...
and the stones...


STONE
Go inside a stone 
That would be my way. 
Let somebody else become a dove 
Or gnash with a tiger's tooth. 
I am happy to be a stone. 

From the outside the stone is a riddle: 
No one knows how to answer it. 
Yet within, it must be cool and quiet 
Even though a cow steps on it full weight, 
Even though a child throws it in a river; 
The stone sinks, slow, unperturbed 
To the river bottom 
Where the fishes come to knock on it 
And listen. 

I have seen sparks fly out 
When two stones are rubbed, 
So perhaps it is not dark inside after all; 
Perhaps there is a moon shining 
From somewhere, as though behind a hill— 
Just enough light to make out 
The strange writings, the star-charts 
On the inner walls. 
~ Charles Simic ~

Comments

Popular Posts