room to hesitate...

I am a hesitant kind of person, always have been, but even more so since the stroke.
When one loses the ability to speak, to think straight, to write, to read, to walk... one HAS to hesitate, there's simply no choice!

When I googled 'hesitate quotes' almost all that came up were 'Don't hesitate' type quotes! Why?? What is wrong with hesitation?? Surely, it's better to think before one speaks, edit before one hits 'send', pause before one publishes...

Many infant schools have this poster on their walls:



Personally, I wish more adults would heed its simple message, in all their forms of communication. Both the online, and the real, worlds would be a lot kinder places.

So, I'm all for making more room for hesitation, and less room for instant (often thoughtless) speech and action.

What do you think? I'd love to know 😍



PS I understand there have been some issues with leaving comments... I think Blogger struggles with different devices, and certainly I've noticed it's taking quite a while to actually publish on other Blogger blogs I visit, so I leave a site open for a few extra moments after I've hit 'Publish', just to give Blogger time... It will eventually leave the comment 😊 (And sometimes I have to hit the Publish button a couple of times before anything starts to happen...)

Comments

Unknown said…
I've not seen this poster before and I think it's an excellent reminder. I'm beginning to become aware of my thoughts so this follows naturally. I thank you for your vulnerability and join you in envisioning your restored health.
Johanna said…
I've seen this poster in secondary schools, and I think there's times we could do with it at work as well! It's some very good, straight forward advice.
Hesitation definitely has its place, and I recently had a micro teaching session about mindfulness and it made me stop and think and try and take time out before eating, doing, reacting. I'm trying to slow myself down and appreciate the things around me, rather than race through life.

I love your comment at the end about comments too, we should hesitate once hitting publish - there's a lesson in everything xxx
Tracy said…
I love your thoughts and perspective here, Claire, and I totally agree with you on this. I think often we are too quick on the draw, and with some more introspective and thoughtful thinking, additional kindness and compassion, our words and actions truly could make our world a much better place.
Claire said…
ummm, it seems I can't reply to each comment individually, which is a shame. So...

Maggy: Thank you for your lovely, kind, encouraging comment x

Johanna: Lovely to see you here, Lil Sis :) I think we all could do with a 'micro teaching session about mindfulness'... [hugs xx]

Tracy: Thank you! I think you've summed up perfectly what I was trying to say xx
Johanna said…
One of the things they had us read was this poem, which just made me draw breath and think. I loved it, and I'm still carrying it with me:

If I had my life to live over again,
I’d dare to make more mistakes next time.
I’d relax.
I’d limber up.
I’d be sillier than I’ve been this trip.
I would take fewer things seriously.
I would take more chances,
I would eat more ice cream and less beans.

I would, perhaps, have more actual troubles but fewer imaginary ones.
you see, I’m one of those people who was sensible and sane,
hour after hour,
day after day.

Oh, I’ve had my moments.
If I had to do it over again,
I’d have more of them.
In fact, I’d try to have nothing else- just moments,
one after another, instead of living so many years ahead of each day.

I’ve been one of those persons who never goes anywhere without a thermometer, a hot-water bottle, a raincoat, and a parachute.
If I could do it again, I would travel lighter than I have.

If I had to live my life over,
I would start barefoot earlier in the spring
and stay that way later in the fall.
I would go to more dances,
I would ride more merry-go-rounds,
I would pick more daisies.

– Nadine Stair
Claire said…
Oh, thank you for this, my lovely! No wonder you're carrying it with you xxx

Popular Posts